Sunday, January 13, 2008

Silence and the Voice of God

The Psalmist encourages us to be still and KNOW that He is God. This was actually written as a part of a worship song. I think most true worshippers would agree that sometimes, even with the best of lyrics, instruments and voices... there are moments when there is nothing like ... silence... to usher us into the holy presence of the Father.
I just spent a week in retreat at Selah Ranch in East Texas. A 12oo acre Ranch, a small group of 6 Pastors from various denominations (and a few spouses) got away for a "Sabbath Rest". The only program was to get alone with God. The beauty of the ranch and the golf cart provided for each Pastor made it easy to get alone with the Father in the great expanse of His creation (I took the picture of the tree in my "thot of the day" in the early morning mist). Each room was equipped with a whole library of books on spiritual formation, a guide for the week suggesting various passages of Scripture and ... solitude. I read from the Bible and from some of the most gifted and spiritual writers of our day. But, the highlight of the retreat... silence.
You know me, I am a people person, I not only like noise, I make alot of it myself. The first day of silence is uncomfortable, the second... unnerving. Having done this before, I knew what to expect, I cried the whole second day... like detox... like cleansing of the many emotions that have built up in me... like crawling up in the Father's lap and having Him hold me and say... Bob... it is okay... you can let it all go... you don't have to perform for me... you don't have to succeed... you don't have to be anyone but you... my son... my boy... my man... my voice to those who will listen.
I cannot begin to describe to you how He has loved me this past week... how He has spoken to me (His voice is clear when others are stilled)... how He calmed me. None of my cares have really been resolved but... but the truth is... I have no cares.
A week without voices, a week without media, a week without music... the psalmist knows... be still and know that He is God. I know... I was finally still. Nothing that we "do" is so important that we cannot take time for this. Jesus only had 3 years to minister physically on this planet and to prepare a group of men to launch the church... but He took time for silence... I want to be like Him... He KNEW God... I do too. Do you?

3 comments:

Tarra Green said...

"You're the man" or as Paul Patti would say "Whose better than Bob" and I am confident that is exactly what Father says about you all the time. I would love to get away to a place like u described for a week but i guess my sitting room will have to do for now. God does speak in sitting rooms right?? Looking forward to your return and hearing messages with renewed perspectives. Tarra

Sadiq said...

thanks for it pastor. will be sharing with my blog readers as well.

peace!

Amy C. Moreno said...

Now you've made me yearn for that time of silence alone with God too. I am so glad you had a chance to rest and have that time apart with Him..in a truly quiet place..Wow.
We miss so much because we don't really allow time for silence and waiting on Him and listening and letting our heart be still.
we missed you and your messages, even though the messages preached were fantastic and straight from the heart of God.