Friday, December 28, 2007

Spiritual Formation

Over the past couple of years, I have been intrigued with the concept of spiritual formation. Americans have made physical formation BIG BUSINESS. Body building, strength training, diets, exercise programs, gyms, videos, workout fashion... it is HUGE. So much time and energy spent on the body but what about our spirit? What about the part of us that lives forever? How do we "exercise ourselves to godliness"?

I recently ran across an excellent definition for spiritual formation in M. Robert Mulholland's book "Invitation to a Journey".

"Spiritual formation is a process of being conformed to the image of Christ for the sake of others." (p15)

I love this definition because it is simple AND it reveals all that I love and hate about spiritual formation.

It is a process. I love that I don't have to measure myself by perfection but by progress. But I HATE that nothing that is spiritual or lasting is instant. My whole life will be spiritual formation... living in cooperation with God's grace extended to me in each moment!

IT has a defined goal, the image of Christ. I LOVE the fact that I was created in the image of God, it was marred by sin but that I now have Christ in me who is "the image of the invisible God" (Colossians 1:15). I can allow Christ to live through me and be living as a reflection of the image of God. This is wholeness and it feels right, it trumps brokenness! I do HATE that this is a choice that must be made at every moment. I can't just put it on auto-pilot. I must choose between living in the power of my own flesh and living in the power of the resurrected Christ that lives in me.

It is not about me! I HATE that (because my flesh has a good dose of narcissism) it is not about me. But I LOVE that it is relational. The focus of spiritual formation is not on how pious I can be but on how the image of God in me flows out to others and impacts their lives. There is POWER in this... a power that cannot be manipulated, conjured up or misused. It is the power of God flowing through me and is for the sake of those who receive it.

Several conclusions, that for me are freeing.
1)I can embrace the process and not stress about the rate at which my spiritual formation seems to be progressing!
2)I can see each digression from spiritual formation as nothing more than a poor choice, made in the moment, made in the flesh, forgiven by the blood of Christ and powerless to change the direction of my life! (the power is in my choice)
3)I can watch this powerful presence in my life impact those around me and not have to control it, not have to make it happen, not have to pretend, not have to speak with spiritual cliches, not have to fit a certain image of "pastor"....

Bob December 29, 2007

7 comments:

John Stroud said...

Great thoughts on Spiritual Formation, Bob. I'd be interested in know more about why Mulholland added the "for the sake of others" to his definition. I guess I would have thought that the primary focus would be "for the glory of God AND the benefit of others". Like you always say, "I think too much!" :)

Thanks for sharing.

John

Brian said...

HI Bob,

thanks for the great thoughts on choosing life.... Your messages always resonate with me!


Brian

Debbie said...

Greetings Bob,
Praying for you friend!
Thank you for once again providing me the opportunity for growth. I have read your post twice and find "for the sake of others" very thought provoking. I look forward to another year of being challenged to think on Father's Truth for me, flowing through me, for the sake of those who receive it. Hmmm... I guess I've never thought about for who's sake I live...
Love you,
Debbie

Realtor Mary Palma said...

How do you do it? I wish I had a bit of what you have. I know it took a lot of work and a lot of courage.

I wake up every morning and it hurts to breathe. What does this day hold for me? Something always happens, some test is always going on.

I sit in Church on Sundays and listen to you to and I don't want you to stop. I don't want to leave. I feel safe there.

sylvia said...

Well put...I like to complete the "homework" and be done...but as you said it is a process with progress...there is no end until heaven. May God keep you open and humble as you process and progress with your book and life.

Esther said...

I am more and more amazed by how you touch others (for their sake). Because you lay yourself bare to others, even though it leaves you vulnerable, you continue to relay your message of choosing life so well. I am so proud that you are my pastor. You've no idea how what I hear and see from you has impacted my life. By the way, I've shared your blog address with Jeremy in the hopes he will check out what you have to say once in a while.

BobbieT said...

PBob! Thanks for sharing your heart, perspective and journy. The second point of your summary is so very freeing and yet difficult to receive. I'm doing by best to hang onto it.